Sunday 6 November 2011

pretty paper party catch-up

I started this post last week but realised it was little pointless given I couldn't post any pictures at the time.  So we took a pretty paper party break for a few days and now I have a few prompts to catch up on!


Prompt 4 - Dots and stripes


This photo was taken back in March at my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary.  It's the first family photo we took after finding out I was pregnant with our second child, so there are 4 of us present, even if the youngest is only 5 weeks gestation!


The background cardstock is dotted swiss by Bazzill Basics Paper and the patterned papers are from Echo Park's Walk in the Park range.  I love these papers and the elements stickers included in the collection pack.  And how fab are those glittery pink Thickers?!


Prompt 5 - Rough around the edges


Not a great photo, I'm afraid the light here isn't great.  I have a bunch of these photos of Isaac exploring the grass in our garden but haven't scrapped them yet.  Similarly, I have the collection pack for this paper range (Cosmo Cricket Garden Variety, if you were wondering) and I've only made 1 layout with it.  This class is turning out great for using things up!  I also used a tag and some felt border that I've had for ages.  And that little button embellie was being saved for 'something special'.  Like my boy isn't something special!  (Besides, I have plans to buy more and I can't do that if I still have the originals, right?!)


The challenge was to do a bit of distressing, not my usual style but not completely out of my comfort zone.  I sprayed the cardstock with Studio Calico Mister Huey Dark Calico mist, distressed the edges of the papers and inked the edge of the photo matt, to help it stand out a bit more.  I also used a felt border for a different texture.  Incidentally, this is a scraplift of a layout by a friend of mine and it's based on prompt 1 - paper strips (I think!)


Prompt 6 - Print it out!


The printable elephants on this card were a friday freebie from Little Musings ages ago and aren't available anymore.  I coloured them with Promarkers (grown-up felt-tips!) and used just a scrap of some American Crafts paper to matt it.  I'm not a hydrid convert, I'm afraid; I can't be doing with all the colouring-in or cutting-out.  I also don't think it looks quite the same as proper printed papers and embellishments - unless the scrapper is really talented, you can tell what was printed out at home.  That said, I have the rest of a sheet of elephants and another of birthday dinosaurs that I would use to make cards or on the occasional layout. And it's always good to try new techniques!


Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about prompt 1 but I haven't given that card yet (and I know the recipient reads my blog) so you'll have to wait a little longer!!

No comments: